Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Counting Down to Kindergarten


One week from today, the beautiful-eyed baby girl who first made me a momma will head down the big hallway of learning for the first time.
 
I've read the articles. I've boohooed at other blog posts, choked up during conversations. I get it. We all do it at some point, in one aspect or another. We all realize that life is achingly and beautifully moving forward, and that our children are no longer looking up at us to carry them, but looking over their shoulder at us as they walk away to nod to them that they can do it themselves.
 
You will have the best time, my love.
You are so eager and ready to learn. You have a thirst for creativity, and a heart for others.
 
We have prayed for you. I have prayed over your school, your teacher and your friends. I have prayed so hard.
 
We have talked about how you are a little nervous to eat lunch, because you "like to take your time." And it tickles me that you view eating as such an important social aspect, because there's nothing I love more than a good meal with good company.
 
We went shopping for your first outfit, we picked out your back pack and loaded it up with the school supplies. Yesterday on the way home you told me that you didn't take a nap "because we don't nap in kindergarten, and I need to test it out." Valid argument. You have suddenly decided to start getting dressed, making your bed and brushing your teeth before I even see you in the mornings, and I'm not quite sure what lucky charm I tripped over but WOW and THANK YOU.
 
You have started counting down the days until you find out who your teacher is, and your first day of school, and I stand back soaking in your sweet excitement laced with nervousness, trying to hide the fact that I don't remember when you mastered complex conversations or your days of the week, because babies just don't do that, and aren't you still that chunky little baby?
 
 
I could never thank our sweet Jesus enough that He has given us the opportunity for you to start not only at such a wonderful school, but to also have your Daddy there with you. I have no doubt that He knew my innermost heart, and He knew before it was even a thought in my mind that my nerves would need it. The stories that are weaved in the heavens are just too good sometimes.
 
Here's to you, beautiful girl.
You are going to rock it out in Kindergarten!!
 
Love,
Momma
 
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love that sweet girl! Will miss seeing her in my hallways, but know she is going to be great! She's more than ready for this new adventure.